Sunday 1 May 2011

Fortune telling street at Mia-ri


Divination houses (or yokhagwons) in Mia-ri

Mia-ri, a small street in the northern part of Seoul, has long been a go-to spot for Koreans searching for a bit of comfort and reassurance from the words of fortune-tellers.

The neighborhood is so well known for its fortune-telling businesses by the Blinds.  What distinguishes Mia-ri, by far the most famous and most well-known in the country, from other areas is that all the area practitioners are blind. Since the street made its name, a number of non-blind fortune-tellers tried to open their shops, but to no avail. All faced fierce opposition from blind peers.

“This is a very close-knit society where everybody knows everybody,” said Kim Ik-joong, another longtime Mia-ri fortune-teller. “Mia-ri is the base of our livelihood, and we never let others come into our market.”

Getting there: Subway line 4 Sungshin Women’s University Station, Exit No 7



Personally, I always enjoy trying out different types of readings whenever I go overseas.  Be it fortune telling, tarot card reading, rune reading etc...Its interesting to see the various methods used in different countries. At the end of the day, I believed its important to apply own wisdom(deep down) and faith in my own religion to interpret what was being shared to me.  So far, all led to the same prediction! Ha! 
I wonder if the fortune tellers in Seoul can speak English.  I would love to have a go during my trip this Autumn ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment